Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cashew Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Cashew Chicken Salad Sandwiches


Here it is folks, the dish that literally launched My Tasty Little Secret from a hobby to an actual business. Beware, it is addicting. The kind of food that, even though your brain is telling you "THERE IS NO MORE ROOM!!!" your taste buds are telling you "please just a little more!" This recipe is ridiculously easy, but first you will need to make balsamic chicken, which is on the post prior to this. You don't want to make this while the chicken is hot out of the oven, but it is best to make about 10-15 minutes after you take it out of the oven, and still a little warm. Here is what you will need:

Balsamic Chicken
Cashews (bits and pieces)
Red onion
Celery
Red grapes
Mayonnaise

First cut up the chicken into pieces. I did 1/2 inch cubes and pieces and used 6 chicken breasts. The main point is to focus on who will be eating it. I usually like pieces just a little bigger, but for tonight this was dinner for my kids, so I made the pieces smaller.

See that? Those are the drippings in the pan from making the balsamic chicken. You won't need much. I use a spoonful for each chicken breast.

Drizzle the drippings over the cut up chicken and stir.

Here comes the Mayo! Honestly, it doesn't really matter which you use, depends on your taste and if you are using this as a low fat food. I use good old Miracle Whip. One you may not want to use is the olive oil mayo though, as the drippings are mainly olive oil. Now stir that up.

The last few steps don't really matter as in order of what you add, but I like to add in order from hardest to softest so none of the ingredients get smashed. So here, I added the cashews.

Here I added the celery. I used two stalks, split them down the middle and cut them up into bits. This is also where you add the red onion bits, if you want, but if you put the onions on as rings at the end, it works as well.

Ah the red grapes. I love adding these into the recipe, but it also means it doesn't keep in the fridge for more than a day or two. For this recipe I take the grapes and cut them in half, this helps the sandwich stay together better and you don't have grapes popping out of the sandwich and taking some poor unsuspecting person's eye out! As usual, mix it up!

As for the bread. It really doesn't matter. Today I used french steak rolls, but when I serve these to customers, I generally use croissants and cut them in half. Remember, croissants are seriously fatty, so if you are trying to keep this healthy, don't do it.


2 comments:

  1. I don't use measurements, I do everything to taste. If the recipe is delicate enough to need measurements, I will include them.

    ReplyDelete